Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Citations Made Simple

For some time I've used on online service to encourage my students to cite their sources. The service I've used most frequently is Citation Machine. David Warlick, creator of CM, has recently made some changes to the program and changed the name to Son of Citation Machine. The URL has changed as well. It's now http://pinetlibrary.com/citationmachine.net/

My students alerted me to another online citation creator called Knight Cite. I haven't used it but it appears to be similar to CM.

While neither site is foolproof in the citations created, it helps to get my students one step closer to citing their sources in close to APA (or MLA) style.

Category: Utilities_, Other Cool Stuff_

4 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

When you introduced me to this a couple of years ago, Leigh, I became a hero to a lot of confused students. This is a wonderful tool. On one of my listservs, they were complaining about the Google Ads because the top 2 were for internet paper mills, but that little tempest may have cleared by now.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Developer said...

The Google Ads have been a little worrisome to me as well. But to handle the half-million accesses a day, I'm having to move the site over to a dedicated server, and that's going to cost almost $500 a month. So I had to go to something.

There is a feature where a school can login, and Citation Machine hides the ads on that computer.

Also, the PiNet.com/cm/ url is temporary. I have it running on two different servers now. Once we get everything over to the dedicated server, then we won't have to move it ever again.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Developer said...

Sorry to be mucking up your comments, but I've been doing a little research on how Google Adsense works, and have learned how to filter out unwanted ads. I have put a block on one of the paper mills and will do the same for others. That said, we have made the decision to go with a dedicated server, based on the income that Adsense is providing, and we will have to bare this in mind, when deciding on filtering ads.

We're all making a living, or trying to.

If you wouldn't mind posting to the mailing list you mentioned, Melba, that I am working on cleaning up the ads, and also that schools can block all ads.

Thanks!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

I would be happy to do so and am flattered that you read our little blog. I have received actual applause from library classes when I tell them about Citation Machine and believe me, that is a rare thing. I am sure everyone understands that the tremendous traffic it generates needs to be commercially supported. Thanks!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home