Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us

This extremely well-done video suggests some of the more theoretical implications of new media. While his discussion of early html is oversimplistic, his later statements about xml are right on. Curiously, Wesch leaves out the political implications of new media: if he is correct that we are creating a database-driven web (and I think he is), the issue of who owns or controls those databases is paramount.

One of things that most struck scared (?) me was that I use (or have recently used) all of the web 2.0 apps shown in the video in my classes or for personal use. Now I know I'm a webbie! How would you complete "You know you're a webbie when..."?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

I saw this, too, Jane and thought it was very clever. Sorry I haven't been posting very frequently -- I will make up for it soon.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Jane Lasarenko said...

No problem, Melba! That's the beauty of co-blogging.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Ranger said...

Wow..

That was a great video.

Hope to use it in my classes in High School.

Is it free to use? Copyrights?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

9:12 PM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Tom -- It is on http://www.youtube.com and I think you could easily contact the author there -- he is seeking comments for revisions, etc. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home